Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) Delivery
Many women who have had up to two prior cesarean deliveries can later give birth naturally. A Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) delivery may be an option for you.Of the women who try a VBAC, about 70% are successful.Your Physician can discuss with you whether you are able to have a VBAC delivery.
Is a VBAC right for you?
Of the women who try a VBAC, about 70% are successful. If you are thinking about having a VBAC at Natividad Medical Center, you may be a good candidate if:
- Your previous cesarean delivery was twelve months from your due date.
- You have had no more than two cesarean deliveries.
If you choose a VBAC:
- You will start your birth process naturally.
- You may be given oxytocin to augment your labor.
- You will have the monitor on at all times to listen to your baby’s heartbeat, even when you are up walking.
- You may have an epidural for pain management when you request it.
Some women who choose a VBAC may have a repeat cesarean delivery during their labor because of a possible complication, such as:
- Uterine Rupture — a mother who has had a previous cesarean has a small increased risk to open the cesarean scar (less than 1%).
- When baby cannot tolerate the labor.
How do I find out if I am a candidate for VBAC?
If you are considering a VBAC, you can consult one of our physicians who will help you determine if VBAC is right for you. For an appointment, or if you have questions, please call us at 831.755.4156.